Saturday, May 8, 2010

Should I post all my reflections and questions?



I recently read a thought-provoking blog, If Only Time Was Really An Issue by my course instructor Jeff Utecht. It encouraged me to take time, as an educator, to reflect. So I did. On my computer I tapped out a reflection on a recent teaching assignment, thinking it would make an interesting blog post and fulfill this week's posting requirement for the tech course. However, those thoughts will not be published. Turning in a hand-written reflection for my teacher to review requires a certain balance of courage and trust, but making my reflection public in a post which anyone can read, infringes on my sense of privacy.

I have had the wonderful opportunity this year to work as a substitute teacher in classes all across the school. I have seen the programs at work and have tried my best to keep student learning on track as per the plans left to me by the teachers. I am very excited about the new programs the school has adopted for Math, Science, Reading and Writing, and I am impressed with how each teacher implements the programs in ways that meet the specific needs of the students and skills/personalities of the teacher.

In jotting down my reflections, I realized that I have a lot of questions too. I will be joining the faculty next August and am thrilled to finally be a part of such a dynamic, hard-working, thoughtful and talented group of educators. I trust some of my questions will be answered in time, but I am not certain if it is wise to pose all my questions here. For the time being, I think I will guard my reflections and questions, but the maxim "Leave no answer unquestioned" will be nagging me.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you took the time to reflect. Not every reflection needs to be posted for the world, but I do hope you get to a comfort level where you can share some of your reflections about your own classroom. Reflecting is such a great way to learn, we know that from a teacher's point of view, I just hope more teacher's take the time to reflect and learn. It's a powerful practice to get into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. During the two years that I student taught, I kept a daily journal reflecting on the things that I saw in the classroom. I don't refer back to these on a daily basis now that I'm a teacher (who has the time?), but it was a good way for me to process everything that I had seen and experienced.

    Our tech blogs are essentially what I would have written in my journal but in a published, public form. I still struggle with it. But I am learning to let go and let the words flow!

    ReplyDelete